Wednesday, May 11, 2022

THE COST OF SECRET UNREPENTED SINS

Notice one of God's great promises written in the Psalms:

I will sing of the lovingkindness of Yehovah forever: With my mouth will I make known your faithfulness to all generations.  For I have said, Mercy shall be built up forever; your faithfulness you will establish in the very heavens.

I have made a covenant with my chosen, I have sworn unto David my servant: Your seed will I establish forever, and build up your throne to all generations.

The heavens shall praise your wonders, O Yehovah; your faithfulness also in the assembly of the holy ones. For who in the skies can be compared unto Yehovah? Who among the sons of the mighty is like unto Yehovah, a God very terrible in the council of the holy ones; to be feared above all them that are round about him?

O Yehovah God of hosts, Who is a mighty one, like unto you, O Yehovah? Your faithfulness is round about you. You rule the pride of the sea: When the waves thereof arise, you still them. You have broken Rahab in pieces, as one that is slain; you have scattered your enemies, with the arm of your strength. The heavens are yours, the earth also is yours: The world and the fulness thereof, you have founded them. The north and the south, you have created them: Tabor and Hermon rejoice in your name. You have a mighty arm; strong is your hand, and high is your right hand.

Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne: Lovingkindness and truth go before your face. Blessed are the people that hear the joyful sound: They walk, O Yehovah, in the light of your countenance. In your name they rejoice all the day; and in your righteousness they are exalted. For you are the glory of their strength, and in your favor, our horn shall be exalted. For our shield belongeth unto Yehovah; And our king to the Holy One of Israel.

Then you spoke in a vision to your saints, and said, I have laid help upon one that is mighty; I have exalted one chosen out of the people. I have found David my servant; with my holy oil have I anointed him: With whom my hand shall be established; mine arm also shall strengthen him. The enemy shall not exact from him, nor the son of wickedness afflict him. And I will beat down his adversaries before him, And smite them that hate him.
But my faithfulness and my lovingkindness shall be with him; and in my name shall his horn be exalted.

I will set his hand also on the sea, and his right hand on the rivers. He shall cry unto me, you are my Father, my God, and the rock of my salvation. I also will make him my firstborn, the highest of the kings of the earth. My lovingkindness will I keep for him forevermore, and my covenant shall stand fast with him. His seed also will I make to endure forever, And his throne as the days of heaven.

If his children forsake my law and walk not in mine ordinances; if they break my statutes, and keep not my commandments; then will I visit their transgression with the rod and their iniquity with stripes. But my lovingkindness will I not utterly take from him, nor suffer my faithfulness to fail. My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips. Once have I sworn by my holiness: I will not lie unto David: His seed shall endure forever, and his throne as the sun before me. It shall be established forever like the moon and as the faithful witness in the sky. [Selah]  (Psalm 89:1-37).

God promises to never remove his lovingkindness from those who are His sons and daughters, no matter how badly they may fall. However, many Christians skip lightly over the heavy warning in this verse.

If we forsake God’s law and refuse to keep his commands and fail to be totally committed to obeying Him according to His will, He will visit our transgressions with His divine rod until we return to being fulling committed to walking in faithful obedience before Him, or until we completely reject His kingship rule over our lives.

The Bible tells us that whoever Yehovah loves, He chastens. We see this truth illustrated vividly in David’s life. Consider how Yehovah dealt with this man, a faithful servant who enjoyed God’s favor. At one point in his life, David sinned egregiously and then justified it and kept it hidden for months on end. Finally, God said, “Enough” and sent His prophet Nathan to expose David’s sin. The prophet Nathan used an analogy to tear apart every excuse David had until finally, king David admitted, “I’ve sinned. I’m guilty.”

Psalm 51 was written by David after he repented of his sin with Bathsheba and having her husband killed.

David also wrote, “For my life is spent with grief, and my years with sighing; my strength fails because of my iniquity, and my bones waste away” (Psalm 31:10). Like a hole in the oil tank of a car, your sin(s) will slowly drain you of all peace, joy, and strength.

I know those who call themselves Christians who lead lives of utter confusion because they continue to indulge in sin(s). These hollow souls are always downcast and weak, forever struggling but getting nowhere physically or spiritually. If you harbor a secret sin(s), you will experience continual disturbances in your life, home, family, and work. You’ll become increasingly restless, confused, and tossed about by endless worries and fears. All of the peace and strength you had will be drained from you, and you will be heading to falling away from Yehovah, heading towards destruction.

Yehovah our God does not want to expose His servants; rather, it is in His heart to forgive, cleanse and cover their sin(s) when they repent. In love, He will discipline His sons and daughters, but His rod is for the lawless ones, those who are no longer committed to walking in faithful obedience according to His will. Exposure of secret sin(s) is God’s last attempt to save a rebellious, hypocritical child who is determined to indulge in sin yet play the part of a spiritual man, having a form of godliness God’s rod is reserved for unrepentant, hardhearted people who call themselves Christians, but have rejected His kingship in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment