Thursday, October 7, 2021

DELIGHT

Yehovah’s great dream expressed often in the Scriptures is: “I will be your God, and you shall be my people.” God has always yearned for this loving relationship with man/woman and has ensured that in the end, it will be so. David is one who understood God’s desire and shared the same devotion in return. David’s passion for Yehovah, well documented in his writing, stands like a lighthouse for those who want a similar relationship with their God. He wrote, “You will make known to me the path of life; in your presence is fullness of joy; in your right hand there are pleasures forever” (Psalm 16:11). David communicated his concern regarding the sin committed with Bathsheba in Psalm 51:11 - “Cast me not away from your presence; and take not your holy spirit from me.” Being in the presence of Yehovah meant everything to him; therefore more than most, he lived a God-full life. Consider David’s words from Psalm 119:

Ps 119:16   I shall delight in your statutes; I shall not forget your word.

Ps 119:24   Your testimonies also are my delight; they are my counselors.

Ps 119:35   Make me walk in the path of your commandments, for I delight in it.

Ps 119:47   I shall delight in your commandments, which I love.

Ps 119:70   Their heart is covered with fat, but I delight in your law.

Ps 119:77   …for your law is my delight.

Ps 119:174   I long for Your salvation, O YEHOVAH, and Your law is my delight.

One of my grandchildren is in the stage that grandpa is pretty desirable, so he wants me to hold him often, and he still enjoys sitting on my lap. It may seem that I favor this child more than others; however, I love all seven of our grandchildren equally. The child, not me, has determined the closeness of our relationship. He wants me to hold him, and he wants to sit on my lap.

I would love it if all the children did the same; sorrowfully, however, grandpa affection is a passing stage in child development. In like manner, Yehovah desires for all His children to sit on His lap, but He does not force us to want Him. Men like David enjoyed an intimate relationship with Yehovah because they wanted it enough that they took the time to allow Yehovah to hold them.

Adam and Eve hid from the presence of Yehovah after they sinned. Cain’s sinful consequence was expulsion from the presence of Yehovah. God told Moses that His presence would go with him. Moses told Yehovah, “If your presence goes not with me, carry us not up from here.” All those who enjoyed an intimate relationship with Yehovah wanted it more than they wanted anything else. Do you want to sit on God’s lap?

Written by Vince Finnigan founder of Living Hope: https://lhim.org/; edited by Bruce Lyon

No comments:

Post a Comment