Monday, August 29, 2022

QUESTION REGARDING PSALM 51:5

Behold, I was brought forth in guilt. And in sin my mother conceived me.

Paul spoke of our human/fleshly nature, and of the fact that we indulge these desires of the flesh far too frequently, thus being "by nature children of wrath" (Ephesians 2:3). Indeed, all men are under the power of this sinful nature, and "there is none righteous, not even one ... there is none who does good, not even one" (Romans 3:10, 12), "for ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23). When Paul took a good look at himself, he confessed "nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh" (Romans 7:18). He longs to do what is right in God's sight; he longs to be more holy and righteous in thought and deed; yet he failed time and again prior to receiving the empowering Spirit of God he said: 24 Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from this body of death? [Romans 7:24]

After his being empowered by God’s Spirit Paul says: Thanks be to God through Jesus the Messiah our lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin. [Romans 7:25]

Paul, like King David, mourned the inherent corruptness and sinfulness of his fleshly nature, just as they each were grieved by the power this nature held over their attitudes and actions. It is easy to see, then, why sincere believers, who likewise struggle with their fleshly nature, find some solace in the teaching that this is all congenital, hereditary, and due to Adam choice not to obey His God and Father Yehovah. Because of Adam’s rebellion the sinful nature of the flesh has been passed on to all of humanity. So we excuse ourselves by saying, it's his fault; "I was born that way" ... "it's on him, not me!" We can shift the blame ... or so we think. Paul hints at this in Romans 7:20-21: "If I am doing the very thing I do not wish, then I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wishes to do good." "I'm a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members" (vs. 23). Yes, we all (you and I) have a problem: there is a life-and-death struggle going on in each of us. Our human nature, which is an integral part of our very being, which when we were formed in the womb from the time of conception on, is a nature that is prone to episodes of fallenness with respect to the expectations of our God and Father. "The proneness to sin with its guilt and its corruption is propagated from parents to their children" [Keil & Delitzsch, p. 137]. The apostle Paul deals with this extensively in Romans 5, not only discussing our fallen human nature, but also the consequence of sin: death ["through one man ... death spread to all men" - verse 12]. "By the one man's offense death reigned through the one" (verse 17). "By one man's disobedience many were made sinners" (verse 19). It is not that all men are personally guilty of the same sin Adam committed, but that by virtue of that same nature, which is prone to self-will and self-gratifying acts, we too disobey our Father’s will and thus sin (regardless of the nature of that sin). "Death reigned ...even over those who had not sinned according to the likeness of the transgression of Adam" (verse 14).

Well, that is indeed one major teaching as to the meaning of King David's statement in Psalm 51:5, and there is much both in and outside of the Scriptures that seems to give this view validation. It has been embraced and proclaimed by some very respected theologians down through the ages, and those understandings shouldn't be dismissed lightly. On the other hand, verse 5, in Psalm 51 can be legitimately translated a completely different way, and there are many versions of the Bible that do so. Consider the following:

  • "I was shaped in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me" - King James Version
  • "I was brought forth in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me" - American Standard Version
  • "I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me" - English Standard Version
  • "I was brought forth in guilt, and in sin my mother conceived me" - New American Standard Bible
  • "I was conceived in wickedness; and my mother conceived me in sins" - The Wycliffe Bible
  • "In iniquity I have been brought forth, and in sin doth my mother conceive me" - Young's Literal Translation
  • "With error I was brought forth with birth pains, and in sin my mother conceived me" - New World Translation
  • "I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me" - Revised Standard Version
  • "I was conceived in iniquities, and in sins did my mother conceive me" - The Septuagint
  • "I was born in iniquity. My mother conceived me in sin" - World English Bible

Those who embrace this understanding of the statement in Psalm 51:5, believe that the sin was not attributed to the baby in the womb, but rather to the mother who conceived and gave birth to it. Thus, nothing is being declared, they say, regarding "original sin" or the "sinful nature" of a fetus from the moment of conception. Rather, the focus is on the act of conceiving itself, which is a fleshly act motivated by a strong fleshly desire. The product of that act (the baby), if the act itself was motivated by lust or committed during an illicit union, could be said to be "conceived in sin" and "born in sin," yet through no fault of its own. Drs. Keil and Delitzsch point out that "the choice of the verb" in the text, which is somewhat debated by scholars, "decides the question whether" by this word "is meant the guilt and sin of the child or of the parents. The term means 'to burn with desire,' and has reference to that, in coitus, which partakes of the animal" nature [Commentary on the Old Testament, vol. 5, pt. 2, p. 137]. "The later rabbis, combining this verse with the mystery hanging over the origin and name of David's mother, represent him as born in adultery. The word rendered 'conceived' is certainly one generally used of animal desire" [Dr. Charles Elliott, Commentary on the Whole Bible, vol. 4, p. 161]. There is no evidence, however, that David's mother conceived him through an act of sexual immorality or adultery; nor is there any evidence that she conceived him during her menstrual cycle, which the Jews of that time found abhorrent, and which was contrary to the Law of Moses (Leviticus 20:18).

There are difficulties with both views:

The first view has generated heated debate for centuries, for it suggests that all men, from the very moment of conception are "totally depraved" and thus "eternally damned" by virtue of sharing in the guilt of Adam's "original sin." Thus, even while in the womb, a fetus is burdened with the guilt of the sin committed by Adam.

Yet, there are passages that clearly state a contrary truth. "Fathers shall not be put to death for their children, nor shall children be put to death for their fathers; a person shall be put to death for his own sin" (Deuteronomy 24:16). "The soul – man/woman who sins shall die. The son shall not bear the guilt of the father, nor the father the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself" (Ezekiel 18:20).

Although all men possess a fallen nature, and thus share in that reality, no person bears the guilt of another man simply by virtue of heredity. A baby isn't born guilty of the sin of any person who lived before him/her. We do share a common fleshly nature, and the consequences of giving in to that nature, which is physical death, but guilt is the result of our own surrender to that fallen nature, NOT as a result of another's surrender to that nature.

The second view has the difficulty of suggesting David seeks to place the blame for his own sin upon his mother and/or upon a hereditary total depravity acquired at his conception.

Both David and Paul accepted the reality of a fallen nature with which they struggled daily, yet each of these men placed the guilt for their sins wholly upon themselves, and themselves alone! Yes, flesh is born of flesh; ALL of us struggle with our fleshly nature; but sin, and the guilt and consequences that come from sin, are our own. "Each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust. Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death" (James 1:14-15).

Our human nature is indeed hereditary; we are all prone to sin as a result. Yet, sin is a personal choice. We can rise above that fallen nature (though at best we do so imperfectively), or we can give in to it. Like both David and Paul (Romans 7), we fall victim to the power of this fallen nature daily, and it is distressing for those who truly seek to comply with God's will. We see ourselves doing the very things we hate, and then doing them over and over! This is our struggle, and it is one common to us all.

This is one of the areas where Arminianism and Calvinism part company:

"Calvinists hold that Adam's sin was immediately imputed to the whole race, with the result that not only is the entire human family totally depraved, but it is also guilty of Adam's sin.

The Arminian view, however, declares that the primary effect of Adam's sin on humanity was to give man a proneness to sin without implying guilt" [Wycliffe Bible Encyclopedia, vol. 2, p. 1594].

I concur largely with the Arminian view, as did many of the key founders of the Stone-Campbell Movement. "The views of Barton Stone, Thomas and Alexander Campbell, Walter Scott, and their associates reflected a profound philosophical debt to the British Empiricist John Locke and to Scottish Common-Sense Realism. The early standard-bearers of the Stone-Campbell Movement presupposed the Enlightenment doctrine of the autonomous and self-reflecting transcendental self. In their thinking, the human self might well be influenced by the environmental legacy of sin, but it was hardly 'totally depraved' ...Thomas Campbell retained the term 'depravity,' but hot total depravity, while Alexander Campbell spoke of a 'sin of nature,' but not original sin. Robert Milligan spoke of 'total depravity,' but only in terms of personal (actual) sin, not an inherited Adamic guilt. ...Sin itself was existential, realized in actions, not an infection in human nature" [The Encyclopedia of the Stone-Campbell Movement, p. 29-30].

I think the English theologian John Wesley (1703-1791) was right when he summed up King David's intent in Psalm 51:5 this way: "Upon a review of my heart, I find that this heinous crime was the proper fruit of my own vile nature, which, ever was, and still is, ready to commit ten thousand sins, as occasion offers".

Yes, we are prone to sin because of our fleshly nature, but as free-will agents our sin is by choice. The blame for our sin falls at our feet, not at Adam's. "People are born with a propensity to sin, but this fact does not excuse us" [Albert Barnes, Notes on the Bible, e-Sword].

As previously noted, these competing theories have been debated for centuries: "What then is the answer to the dilemma?

A possible answer is the fact that the Jewish mind had no problem in admitting two mutually exclusive ideas into the same system of thought. Any idea that humanity inherits a sinful nature must be coupled with the corollary that every person is indeed responsible for his/her choice of sin" [Holman Bible Dictionary, p. 1281].

I agree with this completely. I am prone to sin by nature, but it is when I surrender to that fallen nature that, whether by weakness or by willfulness, sin occurs. I struggle daily with self; I daily "miss the mark" of our Father's expectations for me; and my fallenness and wretchedness is ever before me! Like the publican in the Lord's parable of the Pharisee and the Publican (Luke 18:9-14), I realize only too well who and what I am, and thus the depth of my need:

"But the tax collector, standing some distance away, was even unwilling to lift up his eyes to heaven, but was beating his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, the sinner'" (vs. 13). God's grace is seen in action when Jesus said, "I tell you, this man went to his house justified" (vs. 14).

"Thanks be to God through Jesus the Messiah our Lord. So then, on the one hand I with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin" (Romans 7:25). "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in the Messiah Jesus" (Romans 8:1), for he has provided us deliverance from the bondage of our fleshly nature (vs. 2ff). Now that is truly Good New

No comments:

Post a Comment