Sunday, August 7, 2022

WHAT DID JESUS MEAN WHEN HE SAID 'I AM'?

When Jesus said "I AM" he was referring to the fact that he was the Messiah, which the leaders of Israel would not accept and tried to trump up any excuse to trip him up in what he said or to interpret what he said in such a way to bring a charge against him. In no way was he saying he was YHVH = Yehovah, for if indeed he had said that plainly in front of them they would definitely stoned him on the spot [example Stephan].

Jesus said of himself:

Revelation 1:18: I am he that lives, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

John 19:21: THEN SAID THE CHIEF PRIESTS OF THE JEWS TO PILATE, WRITE NOT, THE KING OF THE JEWS; but that HE SAID, I AM KING OF THE JEWS.

John 18:37 Pilate, therefore said unto him, Are you a king then? Jesus answered, you say that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause I came into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. every one that is of the truth hears my voice.

John 18:5-6: ...Jesus saith unto them, I AM he. and Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them. As soon then as he had said unto them, I AM he, they went back, and fell to the ground .. Jesus answered, I have told you that I AM he (the Messiah): if therefore you seek me, let these go their way:

John 15:1: I AM the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.......

I AM the vine, you are the branches: he that abides in me, and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

John 14:6: Jesus says unto him, I AM the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

John 14:10-11: Believe you not that I AM in the Father, and the Father in me? The words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwells in me, HE does the works. Believe me that I AM in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works’ sake.

John 14:20: At that day ye shall know that I AM in my Father, and you in me, and I in you.

John 13:19: Now I tell you before it comes, that, when it is come to pass, you may believe that I AM he [the Messiah]

John 10:36: Say you of him, whom the Father has sanctified -set apart, and sent into the world, you blaspheme; because I said, I AM THE SON OF GOD? - if the Jews here thought he was saying he was Yehovah they would have stoned him on the spot.

John 8:28: Then said Jesus unto them, When you have lifted up the son of man, then shall you know that I AM he and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father has taught me, I speak these things. - it is obvious here he is not calling himself Yehovah when he says I am he...

John 8:18: I AM one that bears witness of myself, and the Father that sent me bears witness of me.

John 7:33: Then said Jesus unto them, Yet a little while I AM with you, and then I go unto him that sent me.

John 5:43: I AM COME IN MY FATHER'S NAME - as THAT PROPHET mentioned by Moses, and you receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him you will receive.

John 4:25-26: The woman saith unto him, I know that Messiah comes, who is called Christ - the anointed one - the Messiah: when he comes, he will tell us all things. Jesus says unto her, I that speak unto YOU AM HE.

Notice what John the baptist says about himself and Jesus: John 3:28 You yourselves bear me witness, that I said, I am not the Messiah but that I am sent before him.

Luke 22:70-71:Then said they all, Are you then the Son of God? And he said unto them, You say that I AM. And they said, What need we any further witness? For we ourselves have heard of his own mouth ... And the whole multitude of them arose and led him unto Pilate. And they began to accuse him, saying, We found this fellow perverting the nation, and forbidding to give tribute to Caesar, SAYING THE HE HIMSELF IS THE CHRIST - THE ANOINTED ONE - THE MESSIAH - A KING.

Notice: At the trial of Jesus the leaders of Israel did not accuse him of saying he was Yehovah - God. Since they did not accept him as their Messiah they used his claim to be the Messiah to accuse him of claiming to be the King of Israel, and condemning themselves said they had no King but Caesar.

No comments:

Post a Comment