Wednesday, March 25, 2020

THE LOVE THAT PRODUCES LASTING RESULTS


To begin, I want to look at the disciples Peter and John and what they can teach us today. Both disciples loved Jesus a deep affection that exceeded most, for it led them to leave all and follow him. One disciple trusted in his love for Jesus, while the other rested in Jesus’ love for him. This we will see was the outstanding difference between these two disciples.

Now let’s look at Peter in the last days. He tells Jesus: Matthew 26:33: …. Though, all men shall be offended because of you, yet will I never be offended. 35: … Though I should die with you, yet will I not deny you.

In verse 51, we see Peter when Judas betrays Jesus, drawing his sword, and cutting off the ear of a servant of the High Priest. Peter by both his words and actions seemed to be saying, “I am a man the loves Jesus”. He is proclaiming his confidence in his love for Jesus. 

In contrast to Peter, John shows by his words and actions that he is a man that Jesus loves. Five times at the end of Jesus live he describes himself as the disciple that Jesus loved. John delighted in the love of Jesus.

John 13:21-23: When Jesus said, he was troubled in spirit, and said, Truly, truly, I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me. Then the disciples looked one on another, doubting of whom he spoke. Now, there was leaning on Jesus’ bosom one of his disciples [John], whom Jesus loved.

In this chapter we see John who was delighting in the love Jesus has for him; Peter who trusted in his love for Jesus; and Judas who has no love for Jesus.

Here we see that nearness to Jesus is the best place to be. To draw close to his love for us.

In John 19:25-27: In these verses we see the one whom Jesus loved tell him to take care of his mother Mary. So we see that when one rests in Jesus love it fits one for service for him.

In John 20:1-4: In these verses we see Peter and John getting the news from the women that the tomb where Jesus was buried is empty. Although Peter takes off immediately ahead of John, it is John who arrives at the tomb first. Here we see that it is the man who leans of the love of Jesus that ends up leading the way.

In John 21:1-7: Here again, John is referred to as the disciple whom Jesus loved. Now when the disciples are out on the lake fishing and see a man on the shore none of them know who it is and when Jesus says: v.5-7: Children, have you any meat? They answered him, No. And he said unto them, Cast the net on the right side of the ship, and you shall find. They cast therefore, and now they were not able to draw it for the multitude of fishes. Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved says unto Peter, It is the Lord. The one who is trusting in Jesus love is the one who has quick spiritual perception.

In John 21:15-22: We find Peter learning the lesson that he cannot rely on his love for Jesus to carry him forward. It was not his confidence in his love for Jesus that would sustain him. He learned that lesson when a maid asked him if he knew Jesus and he denied him:

So when they had dined, Jesus says to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, love you me more than these? He says to him, Yes, lord; you know that I love you. He says unto him, Feed my lambs. He says to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, love you me? He says unto him, Yes, lord; you know that I love you. He says to him, Feed my sheep. He says unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, love you me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, love you me? And he said unto him, lord, you know all things; you know that I love you. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep. Truly, truley, I say unto you, When you were young, you girded yourself, and walked whither you would, but when you shall be old, you shall stretch forth your hands, and another shall gird you, and carry you whither you would not. This spoke he, signifying by what death he should glorify God. And when he had spoken this, he says unto him, follow me. Then Peter, turning about, sees the disciple whom Jesus loved following; which also leaned on his breast at supper, and said, lord, which is he that betrays you? Peter seeing him says to Jesus, lord, and what shall this man do? Jesus says unto him, If I will that he stay till I come, what is that to you follow you me.

Here Jesus is saying to Peter that there was a time when you thought you loved me more than these other disciples; now go forth and show your love by feeding my sheep that I love. You thought to glorify yourself, above others in showing your love for me say you would be willing to die for me now go forth to prison and death to glorify God.

So what do we see from this biblical record. We see the wonderful results that will follow those who rest and rely on the love of the lord Jesus.

They will:

1. Dwell in the nearness with the lord Jesus
2. Be ready to be used in the lord’s service.
3. Will make spiritual progress.
4. Will have spiritual discernment.
5. Will follow close to the lord Jesus.

We all have the privilege to know that we all are disciples that Jesus loves. All our all blessings are found in Jesus amazing love that led him to die for us, that we to might go forth in some small way loving our neightbors as ourselves and feed his sheep bringing glory to the name of his God and his Father, Yehovah.

My favorite hymn that I learned when I was 5 years old was:

Jesus loves me! This I know,
For the Bible tells me so.
Little ones to Him belong;
They are weak, but He is strong.

Refrain

Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
The Bible tells me so.

Jesus loves me! This I know,
As He loved so long ago,
Taking children on His knee,
Saying, “Let them come to Me.”


Refrain

Jesus loves me still today,
Walking with me on my way,
Wanting as a friend to give
Light and love to all who live.

Refrain

Jesus loves me! He who died
Heaven’s gate to open wide;
He will wash away my sin,
Let His little child come in.

Refrain

Jesus loves me! He will stay
Close beside me all the way;
Thou hast bled and died for me,
I will henceforth live for You.

Refrain

No comments:

Post a Comment