Tuesday, January 5, 2021

WHY IS YEHOVAH’S NAME SO IMPORTANT TO HIM?

YEHOVAH – THE SELF-EXISTENT ONE

ELOHIM – GOD

TZELEM ELOKIM – GOD’S IMAGE

YEHOVAH – THE LORD CREATOR

YEHOVAH-NISSI – THE LORD MY BANNER

YEHOVAH-RAJAH – THE LORD MY SHEPHERD

YEHOVAH-RAPHA – THE LORD THAT HEALS

YEHOVAH-SHALOM – THE LORD IS PEACE

YEHOVAH-SHAMMAH – THE LORD IS THERE

YEHOVAH-SABBAOTH – THE LORD OF HOSTS – ARMIES

YEHOVAH-TSIDKENU – THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS

YEHOVAH-JIREH – THE LORD WILL PROVIDE

ABBA – FATHER

ATTIYQ YOUM = THE ANCIENT OF DAYS

EL CHUWL – THE GOD WHO GAVE YOU BIRTH

EL DEAH – THE GOD OF KNOWLEDGE

EL ELYON – THE GOD MOST HIGH

EL ROI – THE GOD WHO SEES

EL SHADDAI – GOD ALMIGHTY

Notice: Let’s look at how names are used to identify living creatures.

Genesis 2:19-20: And out of the ground Elohim - God formed every beast of the field and every fowl of the air; and brought those unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature that was the name thereof. And Adam gave names to all cattle and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; …

Can you imagine a man having the mind, intelligence to be able to give names to every living creature a name that probably described incorporated what they were? Adam was what we today would call a genius.

Notice: In Jewish tradition, Yehovah God’s personal name, so to speak, as opposed to Elokim that to the Almighty more in terms of the presidential functions of His office. Descriptions of the Almighty’s feelings, character traits, and motivations are always associated with the name Yehovah, never with the name Elokim. Literally, Yehovah identifies the Almighty as independent of time and as the source of all existence. The Shulchan Aruch (ibid) translates this: “He was, is, and will be; the author of all being.” He is the source of everything; past, present, and future.

Now we will study why Yehovah’s name is so important to Him:

Exodus 6:3: I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as God Almighty, but I didn’t make myself known to them by my name, Yehovah.

Exodus 9:16: But I have spared you for this reason. I want to show you, my power and make my name - Yehovah famous throughout the earth.

Exodus 33:19: Yehovah said, “I will let all my goodness pass in front of you, and there I will call out my name ‘Yehovah’. I will be kind to anyone I want to. I will be merciful to anyone I want to.

Leviticus 19:12: Never swear by my name in order to deceive anyone. This dishonors the name of your God. I am Yehovah.

Leviticus 22:32: Never dishonor my holy name. I will show my holiness among the Israelites. I am Yehovah, who sets you apart as holy.

Numbers 6:27: “… whenever they use my name - Yehovah to bless the Israelites, I will bless them.”

2 Samuel 7:13: He will build a house for my name - Yehovah, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever.

1 Kings 9:3: Yehovah said to him, “I have heard your prayer for mercy that you made to me. I have declared that this temple which you have built is holy so that my name - Yehovah may be placed there forever. My eyes and my heart will always be there.

1 Kings 11:36: I will give his son one tribe so that my servant David will always have a lamp in my presence in Jerusalem, the city where I chose to place my name - Yehovah.

2 Chronicles 6:16: But now I’ve chosen Jerusalem to be a place for my name - Yehovah; I’ve chosen David to rule my people Israel.’

Psalm 23:3: He renews my soul. He guides me along the paths of righteousness for the sake of his name - Yehovah.

Psalm 25:11: For the sake of your name, O Yehovah, remove my guilt, because it is great.

Psalm 31:3: Indeed, you are my rock and my fortress. For the sake of your name, lead me, and guide me.

Psalm 54:7: Your name - Yehovah rescues me from every trouble

Psalm 61:5: O Elohim - God, you have heard my vows. You have given me the inheritance that belongs to those who fear - reverence your name - Yehovah.

Psalm 89:24: My faithfulness and mercy will be with him, and in my name- Yehovah he will be victorious.

Isaiah 48:9: For my name’s sake - Yehovah I’ll be patient. For my glory’s sake, I’ll hold my anger back from you, rather than destroy you.

Isaiah 55:13: Cypress trees will grow where thornbushes grew. Myrtle trees will grow where briars grew. This will be a reminder of Yehovah’s name and an everlasting sign that will never be destroyed.

Jerimiah 16:21: That is what I will teach them. This time I will make my power and my strength known to them. Then they will know that my name is Yehovah.”

Jerimiah 33:2: “I made the earth, formed it, and set it in place. My name is Yehovah. This is what Yehovah says:

Jerimiah 44:26: But listen to Yehovah’s word, all you people of Judah who live in Egypt. ‘I swear by my great name,’ says Yehovah, ‘that no one from Judah who lives anywhere in Egypt will ever again call on my name and take the oath, “As the Almighty Yehovah lives.”

Ezekiel 20:9: But I acted so that my name - Yehovah would not be dishonored among the nations where they were living….

Ezekiel 20:14: I acted so that my name - Yehovah would not be dishonored among the nations who had watched me bring the Israelites out of Egypt.

Ezekiel 20: 44: Then you will know that I am Yehovah, because I will deal with you for the sake of my name - Yehovah. I will not deal with you based on the evil and corrupt things that you have done, the nation of Israel, declares the Almighty Lord.’

Ezekiel 36:20-23: wherever they went among the nations, they dishonored my holy name - Yehovah. People said about them, ‘These are Yehovah’s people, yet they had to leave his land.’ I became concerned about my holy name – Yehovah because my people dishonored it among the nations wherever they went. “So tell the people of Israel, ‘this is what the Almighty Lord says: I am about to do something, people of Israel. I will not do this for your sake but for the sake of my holy name Yehovah, which you have dishonored among the nations wherever you have gone. I will reveal the holiness of my great name - Yehovah, which has been dishonored by the nations, the name that you have dishonored among them. Then the nations will know that I am Yehovah because I will reveal my holiness among you as they watch, declares the Almighty Lord.

Ezekiel 39:7: I will make my holy name known among my people Israel, and I will never let them dishonor my holy name again. Then the nations will know that I am Yehovah, the Holy One in Israel.

Ezekiel 39:25: “So this is what the Almighty Lord says: Now I will bring back Jacob’s captives and have compassion for the whole nation of Israel. I will stand up for my holy name Yehovah.

Malachi 1:11: “From the nations where the sun rises to the nations where the sun sets, my name - Yehovah will be great. Incense and pure offerings will be offered everywhere in my name - Yehovah because my name - Yehovah will be great among the nations,” says the Lord of Armies.

Malachi 2:5: “I promised Levi life and peace. I gave them to him so that he would respect me. He respected me and stood in awe of my name - Yehovah.

As you have read through all of these verses you can understand how important Yehovah’s name means to Him. If it means that much to Him, it ought to mean even more to us.

May we always reverence His holy name – Yehovah. He is our life! 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment